Concord, California

bachelors degree pathway

IEC@DVC will permanently close at the end of the current session (August 23-October 13, 2021).
Please contact our sister program IEC@OCC for programs

Complete your undergraduate college education by earning a Bachelor’s Degree from a U.S. university. DVC has Guaranteed Transfer Agreements to many U.S. universities.

Transfer from DVC to university
for a bachelor’s degree

h1 bridge chart

After completing studies at Diablo Valley College, students move to Step 3 of the 1-2-3 process: transferring to a U.S. university to receive a bachelor’s degree. In this final step, students complete roughly 2 more years of study.

Transfer from community college to university is simple with the many official transfer agreements DVC has with UCs and CSUs. In addition to sending students to universities throughout California and the United States, Diablo Valley College is the #1 feeder school to the University of California, Berkeley and the University of California, Davis. Each year, more than 100 DVC students transfer to UC Berkeley and more than 300 students transfer to the UC system.

Transfer Agreement Guarantee (TAG)

Transfer Agreement Guarantees (TAGs) are agreements between community college students and the UC system. TAGs guarantee students enrollment at one of the following UC campuses:

  • University of California, Davis (UCD)
  • University of California, Irvine (UCI)
  • University of California, Merced (UCM)
  • University of California, Riverside (UCR)
  • University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
  • University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC)

To transfer to a partner University of California (UC) school, students must:

  • Complete the required courses
  • Maintain a satisfactory GPA (minimum GPA varies by UC campus)
  • Sign a transfer agreement (TAG)

TAGs are free and must be submitted during the student’s final year of community college studies, although students may begin their online TAG application at any time. There is no cost to submit a TAG. During the first meeting with your community college guidance counselor, ask for assistance with obtaining a TAG.

Associate Transfer degrees

California community college students also have the option of completing an Associate of Arts or Associate of Sciences for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T). An AA-T or AS-T degree ensures admission into a California State University (CSU). DVC students do not need an AA-T or AS-T to transfer; however, if a student would like be guaranteed admission to a CSU, this is the best option. AA-T and AS-T degrees are offered for specific majors: contact a community college admissions officer to learn more.

After university

After receiving a bachelor’s degree, students may participate in OPT (Optional Practical Training) for one year. Students may also consider enrolling in a master’s degree. Contact IEC@DVC to learn more about Diablo Valley College transfer agreements, OPT, and post-graduate studies.